values, dreams, motivators … notions? Aaah, as Khayyam says ‘take the cash in hand, and waive the rest … oh, the brave music of a distant drum!’
Fret not, cast yer eyes over this, then—
—look upon my works, ye mighty, and weep ...
So I have a suggestion intended to appeal to the blessed Snowflakes, Socialists, Communists and sporting among us.
- it be guaranteed (by respected audit) that NO state monies of any kind be used in funding any entries in the America’s Cup
- that three (3) identical-in-every-respect duplicates of the original winner (that gave its name to the race) be made
- that otherwise it be ‘bunfight as normal’ in eliminations until the final two teams are ready to slug it out
- and when they do: they each use one of the replicas; their replica for the day being chosen by toss of a coin for each day …
So this would ensure that it’s seamanship (think: ability) against seamanship; not a case of “our financiers can beat your bankers” and/or “our eggheads can beat your eggheads”.
- Otherwise the sailors on the water remain no more than pawns the bankers etc use to pursue their own glories; and
- otherwise the breaking of records is quite meaningless: can a state-of-the-art modern jet fighter not out speed an FE2?
(So what if the ‘record’ time over the distance is ‘beaten’?)